Monday 21 November 2011

Chopsticks & A Baju Kurung

I’m a big fan of chopsticks. When I was four years old I watched my dad eating a bowl of noodles with a slim pair of red chopsticks. All I had was a tiny fork placed neatly beside my bowl. I believe he was under the assumption that using chopsticks was way beyond the capability of a four year old.  It was then I decided to I too will be given the opportunity to learn using those chopsticks, by hook or by crook. My father - amused by my determination - sat beside me and patiently demonstrated the fine art of eating with chopsticks. He held the sticks in his hand and I watched closely at his deft maneuvering, picking up the noodles and holding it steadily in between the sticks before placing it into his mouth.  That was pretty much it! It only took one attempt and I eat my noodles with a pair of chopsticks till this day.

At seven years old, at that time, I was the only one to wear a Baju Kurung in school. My classmates and random seniors would come up to me and say,

“Eh you Melayu ke?” which was strange as I did not look anything like a Malay girl.

In my confused state of my mind I would reply. “Ummm tak! I orang India laaa.”

The bizarre thing was almost all of them weren’t happy with my reply and usually walked away with a look of ponder on their faces. The repetition of the same question kept occurring till it came to a point where I just told people my mother was Malay and all the ohhhh’s and ahhhhh’s settled their curiosity. I enjoyed a peaceful state of mind until the same kids were quick to point out, “If your mommy is Malay, then why you attend Pendidikan Moral class?”

!@#$%^

We Malaysians have come a long way since I was seven. Anyway, reminiscing back on the different things that made me who I am today, I’ve never been prouder to be a Malaysian. I’m excited to tell foreigners about my heritage and what being Malaysian is about. I’m thrilled to watch a football game at 3am and witness a banter between the anae in the mamak with his fellow regular.

Sure I’ve been confused in the past. Patriotism is something that took time for me to understand. However, just like a seed growing into a beautiful potted plant, that’s pretty much what happen to me for my love for this country.

That is why I’m extremely excited to be a part of Persatuan Perintis Bina Negara (PPBN’s) upcoming stunt We R Malaysia-There Is Hope, The Musical. Founded in 2007 by young people with a commitment to inspire and empower the emerging generation regardless of status, colour or creed to rise and engage in nation building. The musical narrates how the Malaysian Chinese journeyed from their forefathers to their current situation in this country.

I envision us Malaysian's to continue to enjoy each other’s company without looking at the outer and to start by simply looking into each other’s hearts instead. Stay tuned for more updates on We R Malaysia-There Is Hope, The Musical and pictures on our very talented list of actors. Do come and support us. I hope to see you there

Signing off for now,

Erin Marie



We R Malaysia-There is Hope, the Musical is happening on:
Date: 4 December 2011 (Sunday)
Time: 8-10pm
Venue: Dewan Lee Choon San @ Wisma MCA Jalan Ampang

How to reserve tickets:
Call or Email PR Manager Erin Marie @ +6010-366 3445 / erinmarie@vip.net.my

How and where to collect tickets:
Collect your tickets within 45-minutes before the start of the Musical at the ticket/reception counter (the entrance of Dewan Lee Choon San @ Wisma MCA). 







No comments:

Post a Comment